Maxi Scooter Forum

City. Country. Danger in-between

scooterwolf

City. Country. Danger in-between
« on: September 19, 2017, 11:23:55 AM »
When I commute to work to an urban center, I'm pretty focused on the job off trying to take in all around me. On long rides through back roads it's the hidden dangers I'm trying to manage -- what's over the hill, around the corner, or what many dash out of the woods.

I think the most dangerous roads to ride on are the ones we're too familiar with - our home town and surrounding communities. Coming back from my bank today I was riding through my town's main street. I'm going on a long trip on Wednesday so my mind was preoccupied with thoughts of packing, and last minute to-do items. There was a light up ahead, and seeing my lane clear I didn't pay much attention to the vehicles stopped at a cross walk in the oncoming lane. As I was about to pass I noticed a kid on his bike dashing over the crosswalk. My hands moved to my brakes and horn, but I saw the timing was on my side and I was past the crosswalk before he had reached my side of the street.

Still, the faux heart attack that went along with that 'oh sh**' moment rattled me all the way home. It was a harsh reminder of the dangers of being too complacent in familiar surrounding.

If anyone has had these moments I look at them as jarring, but educational reminders. Anyone have similar experiences?

- Wolf

RCN

• Administrator
  • My Ride: Kymco 400i
  • Chance favours the prepared mind
Re: City. Country. Danger in-between
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 02:46:12 AM »
I can definitely relate to that. Even safe riders who leave adequate braking space are affected by this day in day out all over the world. And as you quite rightly explained, its when multiple hazards present themselves in close proximity to one another.
All of a sudden that beautiful braking distance and time gets reduced exponentially and the downward spiral into panic starts.

One thing I will say though is that those people who ride safely, predictably, defensively and with the preemptive are the people like yourself who tell stories such as this.

The others are the ones who cant write the stories because they are in hospital or worse.

Bottom line is the way we ride is the difference between "coping" with such scenarios or contributing to the road traffic accident statistics :)