Maxi Scooter Forum

UK vs. US

scooterwolf

Re: UK vs. US
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 08:09:01 AM »
I agree Wolf, it is way too easy to get a MC license here. I got mine by riding a Kymco People 150 through cones in a DOT lot! And now I am licensed to drive a GoldWing on the interstate! ??? :o

scooterwolf

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 11:17:39 PM »
I wasn't give that option, but I'm glad I learned on a MC. Still, some off the parking lot experience would have been nice. I think taking a scooter on the highway for the first time is easier than a gear shifting MC.

- Wolf

RCN

• Administrator
  • My Ride: Kymco 400i
  • Chance favours the prepared mind
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 09:25:00 PM »
Personally I think ANY operation of vehicles should be harmonised globally like in the airline industry. That way there can be no confusion and the world`s roads would be safer places. Plus local governments could score a bit more revenue through fines etc like they do in the UK

scooterwolf

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 11:01:39 AM »
Are the stringent driving and riding regulations in the UK meant to limit the number of drivers? Given that the US us a big car producer I can see why the requirements are lower here (though I wish they would be harder/stricter).

Has any study been done to compare accident rates in the US vs that of the UK based on population ratios?

- Wolf

RCN

• Administrator
  • My Ride: Kymco 400i
  • Chance favours the prepared mind
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 04:59:08 PM »
Are the stringent driving and riding regulations in the UK meant to limit the number of drivers? Given that the US us a big car producer I can see why the requirements are lower here (though I wish they would be harder/stricter).

Has any study been done to compare accident rates in the US vs that of the UK based on population ratios?

- Wolf
Going back beyond 6 years I could have answered that question as I was heavily involved in the UK car industry as a part time instructor on both road and track but now I`m not sure. Obviously you would have to go deep into percentages due to the massive population difference

scooterwolf

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 11:15:32 PM »
I want to say the US side is higher accident-wise, but I don't know the percentage of riders in the US Vs. Europe or the UK. There may be more riders over there.

- Wolf