Maxi Scooter Forum

2012 NorCal and central Oregon and Washington

roc54

• My Ride: 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2014 Suzuki Burgman 400
2012 NorCal and central Oregon and Washington
« on: August 08, 2017, 06:42:36 AM »
In 2012, I toured on my SWing from Sacramento over to the coast, then inland into Oregon by Crater Lake.  I continued through central Oregon to the Dalles on the Columbia River, then across the river into central Washington, ending up in Wenatchee and Leavenworth.  The return trip was down 97 through Klamath Falls and past Mt Shasta, then down 5 and 99 back to Sacramento.

I was able to carry a lot of stuff on the SWing.  The heavy and bulky stuff went under the seat as far forward and down as I could get it.  Lighter stuff, like jacket liners, shirts and other items, went into the Givi topbox.  I used a seat bag on the passenger seat to carry maps, logbooks and similar items.  The SWing handled all of it without difficulty.

Several things of note:  Highway 36 runs from Red Bluff at the north end of the Sacramento Valley over to Fortuna on the northern California coast.  Although it runs through a remote part of the state and there are pretty much no services at all, it is prized as a motorcycle road because it runs over the coastal range for 140 miles of twisties.  Well worth doing if you're in the area, but make sure you have the range.  Don't miss Crater Lake in southern Oregon if you have the chance.  Bend, Oregon is an interesting place and can be used as a basecamp to get to many good motorcycle roads in central Oregon:  I'm going to do that in the future.  The Dalles is a pretty quiet river town.  I stayed there for R&R for two days and found excellent Thai food at the restaurant right across the street from my motel; it was called Montira's Thai cuisine.  There are often high winds in and around the Columbia River Gorge...be prepared.  Wenatchee, Washington is an interesting town, very scenic.  Leavenworth, Washington was once a stage or logging town, I believe, but business went away, so they decided to remake the town in a Swiss alpine format...kind of touristy, but nice.

Lots of places to ride and tour in the Pacific Northwest...by all means do so, if you have a chance...here are some photos.  There is a lot of haze in the sky in these photos because there were several major wildland fires burning in NorCal and south central Oregon at the time...

[nofollow]

[nofollow]

[nofollow]

[nofollow]

[nofollow]

[nofollow]

[nofollow]

[nofollow]

[nofollow]

[nofollow]

[nofollow]

[nofollow]

[nofollow]

[nofollow]

[nofollow]

[nofollow]

[nofollow]

[nofollow]

[nofollow]

[nofollow]

[nofollow]

[nofollow]

[nofollow]

[nofollow]

[nofollow]

[nofollow]

[nofollow]

[nofollow]

[nofollow]

[nofollow]

[nofollow]

[nofollow]

[nofollow]

[nofollow]

[nofollow]
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 07:15:28 AM by roc54 »
73 de W6LPH

scooterwolf

Re: 2012 NorCal and central Oregon and Washington
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 10:35:10 AM »
Great pics! Thanks for posting. I have a lot of family that live in Portland. In all the time I've been there I've yet to make it to Crater Lake. I'd highly suggest a trip to Mt. Hood as well, or to some of the Island communities on the Columbia River.

- Wolf