Maxi Scooter Forum

Swiss Army Knife

scooterwolf

Swiss Army Knife
« on: July 06, 2017, 08:11:11 AM »
There have been many debates and discussions on the difference between scooters and MCs. I think one reason I enjoy scooters are their versatility for traveling. In many ways I consider them the swiss army knife of the 2-wheel world. Anyone have any good experiences where a scooter was the go-to form of transportation?

- Wolf

The following users thanked this post: CROSSBOLT

Re: Swiss Army Knife
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 09:02:53 AM »
I use my Helix as my primary mode of transportation. I have a car but it hardly gets driven. My Helix has the built-in trunk, a large top box, taller windscreen, and grip warmers. It gets me to work and back, to the grocery store, or for a weekend ride in the N. Georgia mountains. It has carried short lumber pieces and bags of compost from the hardware store. It is comfortable and has excellent weather protection. In the winter, everyone here puts their motorcycles away but I just keep riding along with little issue. I ride it most every day and enjoy it every time. As far as a Swiss Army Knife I highly recommend the Leatherman Juice S2.

The following users thanked this post: CROSSBOLT, scooterwolf

CROSSBOLT

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 09:19:32 PM »
You are on to something! Motorcycles have no "extras" unless you add them. Scoots have many extras automatically in their design. Most have a built-in fairing that keep your feet, at least, out of the direct splash of the front wheel. The helmet tub is like built-in saddlebags. Some even have windscreens! Easy to wash like a car where a motorcycle is an afternoon of nooks, crannies and polishing. Somehow, scoots seem to stay cleaner than motorcycles. Scoots look right most of the time and do not elicit the Hell' Angel personna. Scoots are perfect for old people who cannot wrassel the weight of a real motorcycle. They do more for every rider hence, Swiss Army knife!

Karl

scooterwolf

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 11:30:04 PM »
I think someone in the Kymco forum once said that scooter riders are the ambassadors of the 2-wheel world. We elicit good vibes and well wishes from most people, especially kids. Maybe not so much from Harley pirates or Squid riders.

MCs are a blast, but they are also essentially a gas tank and engine with wheels. They're great for traveling fast, but not always so great for traveling. I think that's why I've never ventured to get one. It just doesn't give me what I need.

- Wolf

scooterwolf

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 10:20:15 PM »
In the Beginnerbikers.org forum, in the Scooter thread I posted this same subject. There's a lot of push back by some members who say a dual-sport is the swiss army knife of the 2-wheeled world. One member even saying a Burgman is a spork.

Of course I didn't take it sitting down and added my rebuttal, going as far as showing a motorcycle editors review of a KLR650 vs. the Kymco Downtown 300i. The DT got a better score. Their point though is because a dual sport can go off road too it's more versatile. But, just like what Karl stated, I pointed out that dual sports need add ons to make them  effective -- top  cases, panniers, tank bags just to carry tools, food, water, maps, and more, but lack other amenities that many scooters have. I'm sure I'm going to get hit by counter-points and trolls, but I'm up for the challenge. 

- Wolf