Maxi Scooter Forum

Non-scooterist ignorance

Non-scooterist ignorance
« on: June 22, 2017, 08:44:13 AM »
Have any of you experienced the ignorance most people have about modern scooters? For example, when you tell someone you ride a scooter, they automatically think of a moped and do not realize that many modern day scooters are in reality automatic motorcycles more than capable of keeping up with traffic. For some reason they are just stuck in this limited view of what a scooter is and it is difficult to make them understand or appreciate the machines that we ride. This seems to be really prevalent in the U.S. What about the rest of the world?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 08:48:23 AM by Mr. Paul »

RCN

• Administrator
  • My Ride: Kymco 400i
  • Chance favours the prepared mind
Re: Non-scooterist ignorance
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 02:41:14 PM »
Have any of you experienced the ignorance most people have about modern scooters? For example, when you tell someone you ride a scooter, they automatically think of a moped and do not realize that many modern day scooters are in reality automatic motorcycles more than capable of keeping up with traffic. For some reason they are just stuck in this limited view of what a scooter is and it is difficult to make them understand or appreciate the machines that we ride. This seems to be really prevalent in the U.S. What about the rest of the world?
Very good point.

Yes I get that a lot, more so when I`m at work with my UK colleagues because maxi scooters are only just starting to take off in the UK so not many people actually understand that scooter have evolved BIGTIME!
The other thing up against the opinion on Maxi`s is that the "moped" in the UK was generally a 50cc required for the 1st stage of learning to ride a motorbike. With this in mind most people associate the term "scooter" with something that has a 50cc engine

RCN

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 02:43:07 PM »
Would be interesting to get Steve`s view on this as he is a non scooterer.

CROSSBOLT

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 10:25:42 PM »
When I rode motorcycles in the 60's ignorant people thought they were being cute by saying, "You must be one of them Hell's Angeles!" They were not really serious just sounded dumb and were a constant iritation.

Karl

RCN

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 04:17:29 AM »
When I rode motorcycles in the 60's ignorant people thought they were being cute by saying, "You must be one of them Hell's Angeles!" They were not really serious just sounded dumb and were a constant iritation.
Yes I know what you mean. It was well into the 90s before that stereotype was put to bed